Distractions

'Distractions'...This short video is full of 'interesting' disconnected distractions. Dawnian Productions produced this video as a distraction!! However, it does have a broader message. We live in a world full of intriguing distractions - meaningless - but nonetheless, captivating! I often find myself doing the dreaded 'scrolling'...and when I eventually drag myself out of the 'rabbit hole', I look at my watch and I am in 'awe' (disgusted, more like it!) at my capacity to waste my time on things that do not add to my life in any significant way. I usually ask God to forgive me and continue on my way, praying I will never do that again. But I do! I am guessing that some of you may feel the same as me.

What do I do? How do I stop this? Is there a cure? Distraction is rarely about 'too many things to do.'It is usually about giving ultimate attention to lesser things. We see this clearly in the Biblical story of Mary and Martha (Luke 10). In this example Jesus doesn't condemn Martha. He corrects the concept of 'divided attention.' Distraction is often a heart scattered across too many small priorities.

Most distractions come from either 'Escape' or 'Dopamine' without purpose (easy pleasure>meaningful effort), or 'Forgetting your Calling.' (being double-minded). I suppose the cure for one being distracted is to reorder one's attention to something purposeful. One way to do this is to start one's day with orientation, not information. Reading the Bible each morning (before we read the news) orientates us to God. Another way to cure distraction is to choose one meaningful task daily, complete that before drifting online. Many people find that practicing intentional limits on their online activity is useful as well as redeeming the small moments through reflection, prayer, exercise etc.

Finally, remember that being distracted is often a sign of spiritual restlessness. One can take that to God with a short prayer,' Lord, help my scattered attention. Teach me to love what matters. and release what does not. Let my mind rest where you are.'

What a beautiful thought - 'resting where you (God) are'



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Corruptor

The Human Story -The Chosen

What Remains.