'...not today.'
'...not today.' - Well, today is the day! This incredible story that flooded our media feeds in early February 2026 was nothing short of a miracle. The video that we (Dawnian Productions) have just completed, is now on YouTube. It tells the true story of a remarkable young man (13 yrs of age) who did the impossible to save his family from almost certain death. I have read this amazing story as part of the research for this video and still feel a sense of the miraculous and have so many unanswered questions! The title of this video references something that Austin Appelbee said to himself as he was swimming the 4 kilometres to shore. It is interesting to note that the media did not highlight, what I consider the most significant part of this story. Austin's feat obviously points to a God who was with him on that perilous journey. Austin spoke about this when he was interviewed by world media outlets.
In going through the facts of the story, I find that I have so many questions I would like to ask Austin, Joanne, (Austin's mother), Beau, (Austin's younger brother) and Gracie, (his younger sister). And what about Austin's Dad, who didn't feature in the story, but was obviously very proud of his son? What were Joanne's feelings as she was sending off her oldest son to swim to the shore in the growing darkness? How did Joanne feel as she waited for rescue? Did she ever expect to see her oldest son again? How does Beau feel about his older brother? How does Gracie feel about her older brother? How has this event changed the family? Is this a family with a Christian faith? It would appear that Austin attends a Christian Youth Group, possibly connected to the Christian school he attends (Mundaring Christian School, east of Perth, Western Australia).
There is so much one can learn from such an amazing story. At the end of the video, a number of reflections were made about this story (I would encourage you to watch the video to the end). As a result of this story, I find myself again, being in awe of a loving God who is concerned for us, who protects us and uses a young boy like Austin Appelbee, to draw our attention to our Creator again and to be encouraged...
to look up, not just at the circumstances that surround us!
Where are you looking today?
What an uplifting story. Thank you
ReplyDelete