The Groningen Protocol




 I was reading recently about the Groningen (the 'g' is silent) Protocol. It was mentioned as part of the situation in the Netherlands regarding euthanasia. I wasn't shocked (and that shocked me!). It was written about in such a cavalier way and mentioned as just part of the normal legislative framework of ending human life, (not just any human life, but ending the life of a country's newest and most vulnerable citizens!). Even though I was shocked that I wasn't shocked, I sort of understood. It seems to me that the Protocol was put in place to protect doctors from being sued for, what might be perceived by some, as medical negligence. I understand that too. I understand also about new-borns with severe medical diagnosis. But there is a gaping hole in legislation such as this...and this is when I begin to weep. I weep for these precious babies that are seen as disposable. Where are the laws protecting the intentional taking of any human life? Where are those who are willing to 'fight' and put their lives on the line to protect these precious babies? I'm not just thinking about the Groningen Protocol. I'm thinking of how far we have come as a 'civilised' society, where this is such a divisive issue (the taking of a human life for any reason (other than punitive justice) should always be wrong!). Yes, I know I'm an idealist, but what gives me some hope are the news photos I see of grandparents, being willing to be arrested, just for praying silently outside an abortion clinic, young men and woman marching and holding up placards unashamedly declaring they are 'pro-life' and when I see laws being reversed to protect human life. My hope is that this video will cause people to stop and reflect on the preciousness of human life and how 'fearfully and wonderfully' we have been made by our Creator...and thank Him for each person.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Corruptor

The Human Story -The Chosen

What Remains.