The Tree on the Side of the Road
The taking of a life, any human life, is a deeply grieving, troubling reality. As I reflect on the society in which I find myself, I am greatly saddened by the indifference to life that I witness. I am not talking about murder or even abortion of new-borns, but about the preciousness and inherent God-given value of all human life...from the beginning of life to the sunset of one's life. How do we treat each other? How do we speak to each other? Are we respectful of other's opinions which may be different to ours? Are we tender and gentle with each other? What about those who are already wounded? Are we prepared to be present and pastoral, rather than loudly declare our victim-status and spend time, 'virtue signalling'? Are we prepared to be in the 'healing' business rather than the 'hurting' business?
The 'taking' of a life, is something akin to physically wounding another person. There will be a scar, resulting in a memory, possibly the beginning of distrust, a greater level of unwarranted cynicism and a growing disrespect for others. Is it possible that for one day this week, be really kind to someone, speak to someone with respect even though their opinion might be diametrically opposed to yours? Be gentle with someone. Sit in silence with someone who just needs someone to be with them.
I know someone who is just like that. Do you?
Comments
Post a Comment